9.2.10

Contemporary Dance in India

Exploring is what I most like in a dance. I think that’s what makes dance interesting and keeps it fresh. The freedom to interpret any style of dance or art in any form that speaks to the dancer and his/her audience is what I consider being contemporary in a dance – a form of expression and communication. That I think is the beauty of contemporary dance.

India now has quite a few contemporary dance schools doing some brilliant work throughout the country. Their works build awareness on topics that range from homosexuality to politics. I am very lucky to be acquainted with one such dance group from Kolkata who have been getting acclaims both nationally and internationally in their attempts to break barriers through the medium of dance – Sapphire Dance Creations. Their artistic director, Sudarshan Chakraborty is a visionary and it was my honor to meet him during my last visit there.

Below is an excerpt from one of their works: Purush Prakriti, performed by their principal dancer Dibyendu Nath and co-director Paramita Saha who is also my friend from college.

No comments: